Rainbow Cloud Dough
Rosie and Jewel love cloud dough. We make it so often that I feel as though we have a batch in constant rotation.
Cloud dough is made with oil. Traditional food coloring is made from water. Since oil can not mix with water you can-not use traditional food coloring to color cloud dough. However, candy coloring (or oil-based food coloring) DOES work! Are you ready to see how?
How to Make Colored Cloud Dough for Kids
Materials (per color)
- Begin by adding 4 cups of flour to a large zip-seal bag, using one bag for each color of cloud dough that you wish to make.
- Add several drops of candy food coloring to each bag, rotating colors as desired.
- Then, add 1/2 cup of cooking oil to the bags and seal them tightly.
- Mix the ingredients inside of the bags until all of the flour is colored and the ingredients are combined.
- That's it! Pour the cloud dough into a play bin or container, and the fun can begin!
Cloud Dough Play for Kids
Kids are sure to find all sorts of ways to play with this amazing play material!
It is soft like sand but mold-able like play dough.
It is soft and fluffy, yet it can be formed into shapes. Cloud dough has such a uniquely fun texture that you really must try!
Add buckets, shovels, and other toys, and kids are sure to have a blast!
Extend the Fun
- Make glow-in-the-dark cloud dough.
- Calm kids down using cloud dough.
- Make holiday scented cloud dough.
- Build gingerbread men in cloud dough.
- Make cloud dough for autumn.
- Store cloud dough in an air-tight container between play times, and it can be used again and again!
- Candy food coloring can be purchased in the baking aisle of most major stores or online here.
- You can get candy food coloring in even more colors online here.
- You can use any cooking oil or even baby oil to make cloud dough. We used vegetable oil.