30+ Things To Do On A Rainy Day
Are you stuck inside and looking for something fun to do? I’m here to help! Today I’m sharing 30+ things to do on a rainy day. From craft projects to gardening, these ideas will not only keep you occupied but add joy and creativity to your day.
ACTIVITIES, IDEAS, AND THINGS TO DO ON A RAINY DAY:
No matter what’s keeping you indoors, hanging around the house can get boring pretty fast. That’s why I dug through the Inspired by Charm archives for 30+ things you can do on a rainy day. (Please note: Rain is not required for any of these activities.)
This list of rainy-day activities is intended for people of all ages. (Adults also get bored.) While all of these projects are things that I’ve completed as an adult, many are also kid-friendly. Please use your own judgment about which projects and ideas would be appropriate for your child. For some of the activities, adult supervision may be needed.
I divided this “30+ Things To Do On A Rainy Day” list into four categories to make navigating it a bit easier.
The categories are:
- Baking and Cooking
With all of the variety, there’s sure to be something for everyone!
As you can see, I’ve briefly described each of the activities and provided links to blog posts with full details and information. I hope you find this list helpful in creating a little joy and happiness on this rainy day.
THINGS TO DO ON A RAINY DAY: CRAFT
Crafts were the first thing that came to mind in pulling together this list of things to do on a rainy day. Thankfully, I have many craft projects that are fun to do and result in beautiful and functional home decor. It probably won’t come as a surprise that a few of these projects are among YOUR favorite posts on Inspired by Charm!
Let’s get crafting!
1. Craft these homemade candles from beeswax
2. Make homemade bath bombs to use after a long day of fun activities.
3. Create colorful wood serving trays to use for your next get-together.
5. Organize that drawer of cables with these DIY felt cable organizers.
6. Add color and style to dollar store plates for one-of-a-kind dinnerware.
7. Craft a cactus garden out of clay. No green thumb is required.
8. Save your coffee table AND make it colorful with homemade felt ball coasters.
9. Decorate your walls with easy 10-minute artwork.
10. Glam up your refrigerator or other magnetic surfaces with DIY gold magnetic letters.
11. Plan ahead and create custom-stamped napkins for your next party.
12 . Serve drinks in style with custom stirrers. Mine feature horses, but you can get creative with a design of your own.
13. Cut homemade napkins rings from faux leather.
THINGS TO DO ON A RAINY DAY: BAKE AND COOK
I love spending time in the kitchen, and I’m guessing you might, too. There are a LOT of recipes on Inspired by Charm, but for this list of rainy day activities, I decided to focus on three types of recipes:
- Recipes I think are fun or colorful
- Recipes that may take a bit longer to prepare
- Kid-friendly recipes
Okay, let’s get cookin’!
14. Make red velvet popcorn. It’s delicious and fun to do. Experiment with different cake flavors to find out what your family likes best.
16. Make and customize homemade ice cream with flavors and toppings you love. It’s so easy!
17. Create cupcakes with your favorite cereal.
18. Turn Sour Patch Kids into cookies using this creative recipe.
19. Bake colorful single-serving cakes in mason jars.
20. Serve other desserts in mason jars. I have loads of ideas.
21. Make the creamiest fudge using only three ingredients!
22. Put together your own mulling spices to use in fall recipes or to give as a gift.
THINGS TO DO ON A RAINY DAY: DECORATE
Spending time inside also gives you a chance to clean and organize areas of your home. Tidy up that junk drawer, bag up those old clothes to donate, or clean under the couch cushions. You know the spots that need attention.
Once that’s done, why not spruce up your space with these creative decorating ideas? Some are DIY projects, while others are quick changes you can make to your space today.
24. Create a dynamic artwork display for under $30. These DIY picture ledges are a project even a novice DIYer can handle.
25. Add functional and pretty organization to your kitchen with a pegboard storage system.
26. Craft a seasonal table runner using paint.
27 . Make your entryway more functional by adding molding and hooks.
THINGS TO DO ON A RAINY DAY: GARDEN
Even though it’s raining outside, there’s no reason you can’t garden indoors. These gardening projects are fun to do on a rainy day. And when you’re finished planting, just set your project outside for a nice watering.
Regardless of the reasons you’re stuck at home, gardening is a joyful and positive way to pass the time. Here are a few of my favorite projects.
29. Craft a wall planter of succulents.
30. Make herb markers out of clay.
31. Plant strawberries to enjoy when the sun shines again.
32. Learn how to propagate existing succulent plants.
33. Put together a terrarium.
34. Take your terrarium to the next level by making one that looks like a miniature beach!
35. Create a vertical herb garden out of office supplies.
36. Plant a tabletop cactus garden.
And that’s a wrap, my friends. I hope this list of 30+ things to do on a rainy day gives you a bit of inspiration and encouragement to find joy in being at home. It’s all about perspective. Looking for the positives on a rainy day always seems to make it just a little brighter.
If you give any of these ideas a try, let us know what you did. Or tell us about your favorite rainy day activity. I can’t wait to read your comments!
Want More from Inspired by Charm?
I'm so happy you are here! Are you looking for more ways to create your happy place? Be sure to join the IBC Mailing List so you never miss a thing. You can also find me on social media for daily updates.